Friday, March 25, 2011

Books I love to read

Silas Marner … George Eliot (pen name of Mary Ann Evans 1819-1880)  For the past couple of nights I lay awake listening to Andrew Sachs’ distinguished voice on CD’s as he reads this classic 18th century tale.  With clever voice interpretations for Silas, Godfrey, Mrs. Winthrop and Eppy, all are once again alive in my bedroom! Silas, a strange old man, gloomily faces a lonely life suffering the loss of his horded gold. Mrs. Winthrop a delightfully straight-spoken neighbor is full of wisdom and advice for Silas as he reluctantly raises an orphaned baby girl left in his cottage. Eppy grows to be a beautiful young lady inheriting a vast fortune from her real father, with a loving disposition for her simple upbringing and kind Silas.  I loved listening to this story – the last time I read Silas Marner was in my high school literature class.  - Dorothy 
Alice In Wonderland …  When I was a kid we lived in a poor neighborhood. My aunt Jean bought me Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass for my 9th birthday. Having a new book of your own was a tremendously-extravagant treasure!  The story was  challenging to understand, but I began to love every chapter as Alice’s adventures grew more and more exciting.  I couldn’t believe the dysfunctional characters and situations Alice encountered!  My thirst for reading increased; as my mother obtained a library card in my name.  Like Alice, I stepped through a doorway which opened my imagination and encouraged my writing skills.  Literature beckoned me at an early age. - Dorothy
Hello Nancy Drew…
In the sixth grade at Theodore Roosevelt Grammar School in Cheektowaga, NY, my fate was sealed when I met Nancy Drew.  I babysat on Saturdays for a family who lived on the next street.  $1 earnings enabled me to ride the bus downtown, buy a Nancy Drew Mystery Story book for .59 cents, have a dime for bus fare each way and still have change for penny bubble gum at Gister’s, the neighborhood store!  Twice a month I was allowed to make this excursion alone with severe motherly warnings to “return within a couple of hours or else!”  I always rushed home, anxious to start reading the new book.  Before graduating from TR, I had the entire collection of Carolyn Keene’s books.  Those cliff-hanging chapter endings inspired me to do the same when I wrote Escaping Danger. 
Dorothy